Monday, April 9, 2012

"The Help" or Getting Parents to Come to Conferences

     I got to do my first principal observation last week and I LOVED it.  I had the opportunity to watch a great administrator during parent-teacher conferences.  This worked out great for me since I didn't have to miss time in my classroom.  I also got to see conferences from another perspective.
     I know that parental involvement is a very important factor in student success.  However, that involvement is often limited to parent-teacher conferences.  It is important to make the most of this opportunity. Administrators can help increase the attendance in many ways.  I had the opportunity to discuss some of those ways with an administrator with real experience.
    Here are some ways principals can help get the word out; they should announce the date repeatedly, at PTA meetings, open-houses, sporting events, and assemblies.  They can publish the date in newsletters, online, and on bulletin boards in the school.  Conferences need to be convenient for parents to attend, with early morning, late afternoon, and evening appointments.
     Teachers should also have the opportunity for in service training so they can make the most of this valuable time with parents.  Principals should be available if teachers need help dealing with parenting related issues.  Principals often attend conferences to provide additional support for their staff.  They are also involved in conferences for any student with an IEP.
     While I was observing I got to see a principal that walked the halls and spoke to parents, students, and staff.  He was busy greeting people, showing people around, and encouraging the staff.  He discussed the various ways that conferences were handled at his school.  Some teachers used a team approach, some held individual conferences, and some had student led conferences.  He encouraged each group to handle conferences in a way that worked for them.  He made sure the teachers were all present and available.  He also helped cover the office during conferences.
     It was a wonderful learning experience to see a principal in action.  It made me feel like I had made a good choice about going back to school when the principal told me how much he loved his job and felt like he had the opportunity to make a difference in so many students lives.
“What you learn today?" I ask even though she ain't in real school, just the pretend kind. Other day, when I ask her, she say, "Pilgrims. They came over and nothing would grow so they ate the Indians." 

Now knew them Pilgrims didn't eat no Indians. But that ain't the point.” 
― Kathryn StockettThe Help

“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”
― Kathryn StockettThe Help


2 comments:

  1. Great information! Parental involvement has always been a thorn in the side of Parent Teacher Conferences. It seems like the extreme majority of parents who attend are those of students that are usually well behaved and excelling. Their attendance probably extends further than just that meeting. Again great blog!

    ReplyDelete